Every day, Ho Chi Minh City Dermatology Hospital receives an average of 80-100 cases for rove beetles’ stings. Although this disease is not life-threatening, if allowed to spread, it can cause infection or full-body ulcers.

How to properly handle rove beetles' stings ?

How to properly handle rove beetles’ stings ?

Especially for people with certain allergies, a small dose of stimulation can cause severe reactions.

So how to properly handle rove beetles’ stings?
✅ Use ? water and soap to wash the toxin-affected skin area of the rove beetles.
✅ Absolutely do not use your hands to touch the ants or toxic skin to avoid spreading the toxin.
✅ After giving first aid with soap and water, if the allergic skin areas do not subside, you can use anti-allergic drugs, if severe, you should see a doctor. Do not self-medicate with antibiotics without a doctor’s prescription.

The special thing is that although we Vietnamese often say ” rove beetles sting humans”, the fact is that rove beetles do not sting people. When we kill rove beetles by squeezing or pressing on them, in the rove beetles’ body there is a toxin called pederin that sprays on the skin, causing our skin to blister, be painful, hot like a burn, and cause an allergic reaction on the skin.

So you absolutely do not kill the rove beetles with your bare hands but use some objects to have these insects be out of the house.
✅ Regularly check your child’s bed, pillow, clothes, and toys to find out if rove beetles are there before sleeping or playing in that area.
✅ Clean the house regularly Rove beetles like white and blue light, so you can replace it with yellow lights to reduce these beetles flying into the house.